The Manchester Islamic Centre was formerly the Albert Park Methodist Church , which opened for worship in 1883. In 1962, the church closed down and in 1967, the property was placed for sale on the open market with a planning permission to be converted into flats. Some members of the Syrian Arab community made a bid which was found later to be the second highest bid. The highest bid was made by the owners of a supermarket chain. Both bidders were interviewed by the Church trustees who eventually accepted the lower bid when they knew that the building would remain as a House of God rather than turned into a commercial facility, and would be used as a Mosque for the Manchester Muslim community.
Regular maintenance and refurbishment have been carried out regularly since 1967. Some major work was undertaken to the roof which was totally renewed in 1998, along with re-pointing of all the brick work, and major renovation to the community hall.
In 2005, the first phase of work started where the two buildings were joined together to create a covered area that served as an entrance and reception.